Browse help areas
- All areas
- General Information
- Car Insurance
- Home Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Breakdown Cover
- Motorbike Insurance
- Income Protection
- Life Insurance
- Life Insurance - Over 50s
- Tradesman Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- Professional Insurance
Your selected question
Q:Do I need my insurance certificate to tax my car?
No, in most cases you can now tax your car online, or by phone, provided that you are the registered keeper and your name, address and any changes you have made to your car have been updated with the DVLA
Go to www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc to tax your car online now or call the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 to renew by phone.
If you have just taken out a policy it can take up to 7 days for your insurance information to reach the Motor Insurance Database.
To check if your details have been updated please check here for free http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/
- What changes do I need to tell you about, before I need cover to start?
- Do you pay the registered keeper or the finance company?
- How do I change my contact details on my car insurance policy?
- How do I remove a driver from my car insurance policy?
- What changes do I need to tell you about as soon as possible?